Monday, November 24, 2008

The Element of Surprise

So today was suppose to be the day that Don and I were eagerly awaiting a HUGE change in our life. We were not suppose to know the time or really even the day around or on this day. We were to have all things ready and waiting. We were suppose to know all answers to any question that could be asked. I was suppose to be bulging at the seams and probably in a foul mood, along with Don for putting up with me. It was suppose to be a very chaotic week with 2 Thanksgiving meals, Wade's arrival in town, and this event. I was so sure that this event would be delayed because of it being something new for my body. I was so sure of many things and GUESS WHAT...I WAS WRONG...and probably will be on many things from now on. Kate has taught us that she calls the shots and she determined that she was not going to come on or near her due date of today, November 24, 2008 but rather 6 weeks and 5 days earlier on October 8, 2008.

As you can imagine, nothing was done. I had 3 showers upcoming. The baby furniture was not in. I had not bought the first stitch of clothing due to me waiting until I had a shower to determine the missing links. WOW! Things have changed in 6.5 weeks. We somehow managed to pull it all together. The nursery is 80% finished and as soon as I get the things on the wall and a rug on the floor, I will post some pictures. I remember thinking on September 27, 2008 as we were hurriedly driving home from Jim-n-Nicks that if my water was indeed broke that I was going to have a baby in 24 hours. All kinds of thoughts came racing to my mind like: how am I going to feed her? I don't have any lanolin (ha!) where will she sleep? we don't have a crib or pack-n-play yet? she doesn't even have any clothes that will fit her right now (that I could think of)! As you know the ending to this story, Kate is at home now (after 4 weeks in the NICU) doing great. She is growing every day and might even be a little advanced in some of her movements due to her picking up her head and looking around the night I had her. I would say she is strong. She also has alot of sass to her. Later we might regret this, but right now, I like it! :) Don has his hands full!

Uncle Wade is here and got to meet Kate for the first time. He scheduled a trip home around Kate's due date. Here are a few pics of Wade's first meeting:





Here are a few of my little candy cane:



Kate with some of her favorite people:



Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We have alot to be thankful for and...ROLL TIDE!

5 comments:

{Amanda} said...

Allison this is awesome! it's amazing how we can be so sure of something but in reality we don't really have a "Say" in any of it at all...

7 weeks early! so glad she's home and healthy now. she's a little miracle baby and Wade definitely looks like a proud Uncle =)

i saw your furniture, color choices, and fabric choices for the nursery & they're great so she'll have her little room put together in no time =)

were you still able to have your 3 showers?

Alli said...

Um, if she started calling the shots before birth, get ready. As I recall, John didn't get "demanding" until he was a week old. And let me tell you, he is "spirited" (a.k.a. hyper, loud, mischievious, extra-curious, and just plain fun).

You both have a lot to look forward to.
1. The sass multiplies (and sometimes you have to laugh before you discipline--just don't let her see it).
2. Soon you will realize that no amount of sleep will prepare you for the bundle of energy spirited kids have (and their lack of sleep, when it occurs, seems to produce even more energy).
3. Childproof NOW. You'd be amazed at the stuff she will find. Even countertops are not safe. And child-locks are not necessarily child-proof.

I have more to share, but will have to do it in about 100 different emails... when I'm not as tired. Have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

That first picture of Wade cracks me up! He looks THRILLED to be there - which I'm sure he is! Kate is getting so big! How much does she weigh now? I'm sure she's putting back some pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, tell her she can have all she want! Happy Thanksgiving!

The Farm said...

Amanda...No to the 3 showers, but yes to plenty presents. My family had one for me in the hospital the day before cup-Kate arrived. It was fun.

Jennifer Earls said...

I am so with you on being unprepared!! When my water broke (5 weeks early) I didn't even have a bag packed to take to the hospital. I didn't take anything with me because I thought for sure the doctor would come up with some sort of solution so I wouldn't be coming home with a baby... I was wrong! Lou Ellen was 9 months old on Sunday and I still don't have the nursery 100% finished. I just got so busy all of a sudden!! Oh well, the important thing is that we have happy, healthy, beautiful baby girls!