Friday, December 10, 2010

I Should be Sleeping


Well, we survived the week after the birth week with 2 kiddos. I want to jot down a brief summary of Luke's birth story.

I scheduled a C-section with my doctor at my 39 week appointment. We knew that my doctor would be out of town the whole week of Thanksgiving and that my due date was Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. I had decided around 32 weeks or so that I would try to have the baby the normal way and not C-section. I had a C-section with Kate but my doctor told me I was an ideal candidate to "V-back" due to how quickly I dilated with Kate and this being my second child. Well long story short, I didn't dilate past 2 (that I know of) with Luke so I scheduled a c-section for the Monday that my doctor would return to work, November 29th, 2010. My doctor had told me that he would not induce me unless I was 3 centimeters. The day before Thanksgiving I was at 2.

So I was scheduled to go in by 10a.m. on the 29th and the my c-section was to be performed at 12pm. I stayed up until midnight the night before so that I could eat and drink up to the last minute. You are not allowed to eat or drink with a C-section within 12 hours of surgery.

That morning, we hustled around and made it to the hospital by 10am. Mom met us up there at 10:30 to get Kate. I was given the robe, hooked up to an I.V., and informed of all that would take place. By 11:45 I was wheeled back to the operating room. Don had to wait outside while they gave me the spinal block and catheter. My doctor arrived close to 12pm and by 12:16pm my sweet baby boy was screaming. Nothing like that sound. They showed him to me and I immediately thought he looked different than Kate which equals more like me. As you can tell, this mama was excited about that. Don't get me wrong, my little girl is adorable but as a mama, you want at least one child to look like you. Time will tell if I was right on my early assessment. So thankful for everything being EXTREMELY normal. Yay for normal!

I was wheeled back to my room where Kate, my parents and Don's parents were waiting. They all were able to see Luke for a few minutes then they were asked to leave while they got me settled. Thirty minutes later they were all back to see baby again. Noone was allowed to hold him though because they had to wait until his temperature had reached a certain degree. Around 3pm, Don's mom got to hold him for a minute before they left to head back home. My mom had already left with Kate and dad had gone back to work. Mamey and big sister came back everyday to see him and hold him.

I am still amazed at how easy the whole C-section process was for me this time. I attribute that to me staying ahead of the pain and knowing what to expect. The only downside is not being allowed to pick Kate up for 6 weeks. That is rough! We are counting down the days until January 10th. :)

No comments: