Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bedrest until Kate arrives

So I decided it would probably be best to write all this down on our blog so I can just refer here for details. Saturday, 9/27, we were headed up to Huntsville to spend time with family. Petey was even invited to spend the night so he was in the car as well. Well the night before I had an incident at Jim N Nicks that I thought could be my water breaking or leakage but after arriving home and calling the on-call doctor, they convinced me it probably was not my water breaking. I woke up Saturday and went about my day but I was noticing signs that I was still leaking. On the way to Huntsville, we talked to Don's sister (whom we were going to visit). She convinced me that I was not overreacting and I probably should stop by the hospital to determine if I was leaking fluid or not. I did, and here I sit now on 3rd day of bedrest. After a few tests run Saturday afternoon I was told my fluid was leaking and they had me a room. My next question was, "For how long?" Their quick response, "Until your baby arrives." I was SHOCKED to say the least. I was almost 32 weeks and all I could think was 2 months in the hospital on bedrest. Later after talking to several nurses and doctors I learned that if the baby does not come before 34 weeks, they will normally take her then. My doctor will not say that is a definite but his colleagues seem to believe that is the route they would take. Mine likes to stay noncommitted so I sit here and wonder. Right now, they are giving me antibiotics, fluids, checking my blood pressure, temperature, blood, giving me shots of steroids, and some to stop contractions. I am not sure I ever had any contractions but I guess they gave me the medicine just in case. So Kate's birthday will more than likely be in October...just when...we are unsure. I will be 34 weeks on October 13th and 35 on October 20th. She might have to spend some time in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) but we won't know until she gets assessed by the doctors. I am fairly optimistic and am realizing every day that we are never in control, God is in control, so I pray to him. Leave my worries with him. That is how he wants it. I will keep you guys updated with any big news. Until then, I will be hanging out in room 316 of the Women's Center at St. Vincents Hospital in Birmingham. Come see me!

4 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

Bless your heart! Glad you're doing well, though, and I'll be praying for you! Take care.

bendboyd said...

Wow, Amy and I were just wondering how things were coming along for you guys. Then I foung your blog. We'll be praying for you and maybe see you sometime soon.

Ashley and Nolan said...

I hope everything is still going ok! I plan on visiting either Monday or Tuesday. My mom is having surgery at St. Vincents, so I will be up there a lot during the week, so I will definitely come by! Let me know if you need anythin! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're handling it all well! I would probably go nuts! She'll be here before you know it and you'll wish you were back on bedrest where it's quiet and you can sleep. :) Just kidding. Besides, how would I know??